Thursday, September 24, 2015

DNF Review: Those Girls by Lauren Saft

Publisher: Poppy
Pages: 336
Received: Received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley

Release Date: June 9, 2015
Buy From Chapters.ca / Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Some girls will always have your back, and some girls can't help but stab you in it.

Junior year, the suburbs of Philadelphia. Alex, Mollie and Veronica are those girls: they're the best of friends and the party girls of the school. But how well does everybody know them--and really, how well do they know one another? Alex is secretly in love with the boy next door and has joined a band--without telling anyone. Mollie suffers from a popular (and possibly sociopathic) boyfriend, as well as a serious mean streak. And Veronica just wants to be loved--literally, figuratively, physically....she's not particular. Will this be the year that bonds them forever....or tears them apart for good?

Lauren Saft masterfully conveys what goes on in the mind of a teenage girl, and her debut novel is raw, honest, hilarious, and thought-provoking, with a healthy dose of heart.

My Review:

This book was described as a more modern Gossip Girls type book so it had me intrigued, because I did somewhat enjoy those books when I was younger and I absolutely loved the show. I was interested at first but that diminished very quickly and I had a lot of trouble wanting to pick this up. I only made it through a couple of chapters before I finally gave up deciding that these girls were not ones I wanted to continue to get to know.

Readers come into the book believing that these girls we follow are all best friends, you follow through all their perspectives and see what is going through their head, but even those are some of the meanest thoughts anyone could have towards a friend. Everything about these girls is so unreal for high school age and it is just too over the top, but also these girls are so degrading and mean to one another that I just could not continue. I got more frustrated with these girls as I kept reading to the point where I just wanted to throw the book out the window and never look at it again.

Their actions are all so stupid and vain and these are not people I would ever want to know in real life. I can't really say if things get better between the girls at the end of the story because I just couldn't get to the halfway point to see if anything would look up. The deeper I went, the more miserable the characters seemed and the more I needed to get away from the story...

I truly believe that this story is worse than Gossip Girls was, but then again I believe if I went back and read that it is possible that it is just as bad. None of this is realistic of people that age and if it is I am just glad that I didn't have friends like that. This was just one story I just cannot stand behind at all and am glad that I stopped before it got worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...