Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Review: Alliance by Mark Frost

Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Series: The Paladin Prophecy #2
Pages: 352
Received: Received a copy from the publisher through Netgalley

Release Date: January 7, 2014
Buy From Amazon.ca / Buy From Chapters.ca /
Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Readers of I Am Number Four, The Maze Runner, and Legend will love this sophisticated adventure series by the co-creator of the groundbreaking television show Twin Peaks, with its unique combination of mystery, heart-pounding action, and the supernatural.

After exposing the sinister underground society of students known as the Knights of Charlemagne, Will West stays at the Center over the summer to explore his newly developing physical and mental abilities. Meanwhile, his roommates investigate the Knights' shadowy purpose and discover unsettling information about their own backgrounds. Will and his friends must quickly figure out what's going on and separate friend from foe as they prepare for the coming fight.

My Review:

I remember reading The Paladin Prophecy and really enjoying the story, Mark Frost had created such an intriguing story with so many twists that no matter how long it was it was difficult to put down. I'm disappointed to say that the second book in the series feels completely different. I believe part of my issue was that it has been awhile since I read the first book and I couldn't completely remember everything that happened, and this book didn't help refresh my memory too much, there were little snippets of the characters quickly mentioning something that happened, but I felt a little more confused.

The pacing in this book is also completely different from the first one. I felt like things went through a lot faster (this was a shorter book), and I found myself confused at times as to what was happening with the characters. I think where the first book described too much, this book didn't have enough description in places, making it seem like a different story.

I also couldn't find myself connecting with the characters in this book, they felt immature and over the top during some of the most stressful scenes. There is one character who makes jokes all the time, and it seems like the only reason he is there is to be a comedic relief but he just seems stupid to me with some of the things he says. The one thing that really left me reeling was the ending, I'm not sure exactly how I feel. It definitely left me shocked and intrigued, I`m just not sure if it's enough for me to come back to this series.

I will say that some of the history of The Paladin Prophecy interested me and kept me going through this book, but all in all I just think that this fell below the mark for me compared to the first book, I wanted more mystery and intrigue like I had really enjoyed from the first one. This book does add to the story in ways but it also is a different story at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...