Thursday, December 12, 2013

Review: Hereafter by Kate Brian

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Series: Shadowlands #2
Pages: 352
Received: Received a copy from the publisher through Netgalley/Edelweiss

Release Date: October 1, 2013
Buy From Amazon.ca / Buy From Chapters.ca /
Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Rory Miller thought her life was over when a serial killer set his sights on her and forced her into witness protection. But a fresh start on Juniper Landing Island was exactly what she and her family needed. For the first time in years she and her sister hang out at the beach, gossip about boys, and party together. She's also made friends with a local clique--including a magnetic and mysterious boy named Tristan.

But Rory's world is about to change again. Picturesque Juniper Landing isn't what it seems. The truth about the swirling fog that rolls in each morning, the bridge that leads to nowhere, and those beautiful locals who seem to watch Rory's every move is more terrifying than being hunted by Steven Nell. And all Rory ever wanted was the truth. Even if it means learning that she can never go home again. From the best-selling author of the Private and Privilege series comes the second novel in a heart-stopping trilogy about a girl who must pick up the pieces after the only life she's ever known ends.

My Review: *Possible spoilers for book 1*

When SHADOWLANDS came out last year, I was so taken with the story, it was creepy and really something that kept you going. The ending left me so confused though and that is why I needed to come back and read the sequel. I'm feeling a little unsure of where this story has gone and how things will end in the next book.

Rory Miller's life has been completely turned on it's head after the big reveal at the end of SHADOWLANDS, and now she must deal with the truth of this new place and her new role. The thing that I missed in this book was the real creepy parts, book one left me looking back a lot because I could almost feel some of the things that were happening. Now I'm not saying that creepy things don't happen in this book because there is still something laying behind the scenes, but I just didn't have the same feelings as I did with the first book.

I did really like the mystery that this book has, as Rory learns the history of Juniper Landing and all about her new friends, weird things begin happening making Rory's life even more difficult. Kate Brian definitely has an intriguing thought process with this story about a life after death and how to move on. Rory is trying hard to adapt to her new life and as she begins to get the hang of things more trouble finds her (seriously Rory is someone who must be a magnet to disastrous situations...)

Rory's emotions are all over the place in this book and the smallest thing really affects her, which lets be honest if I found out some of the things that she did I would be freaking out a lot too. This book shows us a lot more of the residents of Juniper Landing and what they do for this town. I really love seeing more of Krista, she is so much fun.

I did find that the ending came on too fast and I just wanted a little more rather than to end it on such a huge thing like was done. Though I can see myself coming back to finish this series to find out what Rory will do next to help people in Juniper Landing from this new disaster. I'm glad that this book doesn't fall in the second book category where it seems like a filler, so much does happen in this book, but it makes me scared to know where Kate Brian will end things.

I enjoyed this book but I still don't think it holds anything to the first book. I will be interested to see what will happen with Rory next and how she will get out of the new trouble she is in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...