Thursday, October 18, 2012

Review: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Series: The Lynburn Legacy #1
Pages: 370
Received: Received from publisher through NetGalley

Release Date: September 11, 2012
Buy From Amazon.ca / Buy From Chapters.ca /
Buy From BookDepository.com

Goodreads Synopsis:

Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?

My Review:

I have been seeing a lot of hype around this book and I was a little hesitant on getting to this one because of it. But wow, this book was amazing. Kami has had this connection with this imaginary boy since she was a kid and has shared all her secrets with him. But all that changes when she finds out that this imaginary friend she had is real and now in her town. Seriously, I don't know how I would be able to deal with something like that...

I was really intrigued by the secret of the Lynburn family, everyone in town knows about it except for Kami and she is determined to get answers to all her questions. Kami is very straight-forward and goes after what she wants, she's not scared of a little danger and I love her character for that. Kami is a journalist who is after the truth and ends up getting herself into a lot of trouble on the way.

There are so many parts of this book that you find yourself not being able to look away. I loved the interactions between Kami and Jared, though at times I found it was a little off (understandably so, how do you talk to someone face to face when you've only talked to them in your mind). The love they have for each other comes from years of learning everything thought and feeling they have and I really enjoy that, it's not a love at first sight. I actually found that it was more of a battle for them when they finally meet in person.

Family was a big part of this story, going back into each person's ancestry to find out questions about the Lynburns and Sorry-in-the-Vale. And when the answers are finally brought about everything suddenly changes and becomes even more intriguing. This is quite a dark tale and the ending definitely broke my heart, I need more of Jared and Kami and to find out where things will go from here.

This is such an awesome book, I definitely recommend it (but you may want to wait closer to the second book so you aren't killing yourself with all these questions like I now am...) 

3 comments:

  1. Wasn't too interested in this book at first, but going to read it after reading your review. It sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed Sara's Demon's Lexicon series so I've planned on reading this I just can't get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I've been seeing this book everywhere, but I wasn't quite sure what it was about. After reading your review, I am definitely going to be adding it to my TBR list. The premise sounds really unique- an imaginary friend that's real?! A very cool concept. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...